This past week has been a busy one! I completed my training to become a Professional Birth Doula (yay!) This has been a goal of mine for the past several years and was something I was initially considering to explore for my learning project. I am giving you this update because many of you were interested in me pursuing this topic for the course project. If you don’t know what a doula is or have other doula questions, you can check out this article, written by my training instructor.
Last week I gave you a sneak preview of the work I was doing on “Under the Boardwalk” by John Mellencamp. This is the song I chose to focus on most this week. However, I did complete some other work in my Udemy course and spent time on Yousician. In my Udemy course this week, I worked on Beginner – CORE – Module 4 (~1 hour of lesson time, not including practice) which focused on rhythm and chords, and Beginner – CORE – Module 5 (~50 min of lesson time, not including practice) which focused on strumming, strumming techniques and practicing support. In the Mod 4 section, there was a mini lesson called “Advice and Encouragement” where the instructor, Erich, articulates that by this point in the course, students are probably feeling a bit of frustration with their level of progress. This echoes how I have been feeling the last couple of weeks. I haven’t felt overly frustrated but rather that I have less to report for my weekly updates because instead of working on new skills, I am improving upon skills already learned. Refining, if you will, and getting a bit more creative with strumming patterns to make the songs I already know more interesting to listen to. Erich advises that all great guitarists started in the same place I am in and that we cannot avoid the things in life that require our time. He says, if he didn’t have to sleep, eat, work, etc., he’d be a much better guitarist too! It was nice to hear some encouragement from my online instructor which validated my feelings and left me with a sense of being understood at this point in my learning journey.
- Check out my vlog update below. If you’ve been following with my learning project you will be able to hear the improvement! (I hope!)
Challenges this week:
- Finding time to practice! I found some time, but not as much as I would have liked.
- This week I figured out how to add the picture-in-picture feature and transitions to WeVideo. I was able to do this easily while using iMovie but the steps for picture-in-picture are a bit different in WeVideo and the transitions are a bit finicky if you try to copy the way it’s done in iMovie. Thanks to these two videos, I was able to add picture-in-picture and transitions easily:
- This week I also added Bitmoji images to my vlog. I’ve tried to do this before but was annoyed by the white background that would show up when I saved the Bitmoji to my phone or computer. I decided to spend some time figuring out how to remove the white background because I have seen it done before! I ended up using Photoshop which I have a paid subscription to and this video, How to Remove a White Background on Photoshop, to figure it out. I am really happy with what I was able to accomplish and hope to use this skill more creatively in the future.
I hope you enjoy my weekly vlog update! Contents include:
- Chord Workouts (I could only get one silver star on level one at the beginning of the semester, now I can get 3 gold stars on level 3).
- Sequential Chord Switches using a different strumming pattern.
- Chords for “Under the Boardwalk”
- Sporadic baby sounds, squeals, yells, cheers and rattle noises throughout.
Until next time…